Friday 11th March

Hello again! That time of the week already…

This week has been as action packed as ever. We have been valiant Viking warriors on a mission from Midgard to Asgard. This is follow up work from our session with the Blah Blah Blah theatre company last week, where we explored the story behind our class novel ‘There’s a Viking in my Bed’, by Jeremy Strong. We imagined we were the Viking tribe who left Sigurd behind, and have been sent on missions to prove ourselves as warriors by working as a team to:

1. Find Thor, the God of Thunder and Protection of Mankind, and return with a piece of an oak tree which has been he felled with his mighty hammer. This will be used on our warships to protect us in battle.
  2. Find Iduna, the Godess of Spring and rejuvenation, to persuade her to pick an Apple of Immortality to help us to be strong and powerful.
  3. Find Freyr, the God of Fertility to get his blessing for the tribe. It will mean that we will always be blessed with new generations of strong warriors and rich crops to feed us.

Suffice to say, that has kept us busy this week! We have mapped and freeze framed our journey before writing about a proportion of it on Wednesday. I was really impressed by the rich vocabulary the children used to hook their reader.

IMG_1587 IMG_1589 IMG_1608 IMG_1760 IMG_1761

In maths this week we have been looking at time. We have been busy calculating elapsed time and reading timetables to solve problems. This week we have launched Olympic Maths in class to really polish up on our times tables and I am so proud of how hard everyone has tried. It is clear to see progress in only one week; I can’t wait to see how many people find themselves Gold medalists in no time flat!

We also had an enjoyable music lesson this week with Miss Leigh. We learnt some fantastic Vikiing Saga songs and played around with the rhythm and volume, which was great fun.

In History this week I was simply amazed! We researched what everyday life was like in Viking times before looking at social, cultural and religious aspects of life. Keira amazed me with her excellent verbal reasoning skills, and I was really proud of the discussion work that went on in her group.

Next week is as busy as ever; on Monday we have our second session with the Blah Blah Blah Theatre Company which we are really excited about and on Tuesday afternoon we are off to Leeds Beckett University for the launch of an exciting exhibition that some of us have been working on over the past month or so. Wednesday and Thursday are parent’s evenings, which I am looking forward to as it is a wonderful opportunity to show off all of the brilliant work we have been doing. To top it all off; next week is Science week so we have lots of exciting experiments and learning taking place as well! Phew!

Have a wonderful weekend and re-charge those batteries for a busy week ahead!

Miss Nicholson