It’s almost December!

So, we are already getting giddy about Christmas in Year 4 and have even started a countdown clock in our classroom (a little premature I know!)

This week has been fantastic. Super behaviour and attitude and a really excellent effort in our work. In literacy we have been thinking more about Information texts and looked at the different features and linguistic devices that can be found in non-fiction writing. We spent Monday morning learning how to use the possessive apostrophe with plural nouns and I was as impressed as ever at how hard-working everybody was. We love a bit of grammar in Year 4! We also enjoyed this week’s newspaper passport activity; where we were sent pictures of various people, places or things that were in the news this week and had to use our detective skills to work out why that picture had been in the news this week. It sparked up lots of interesting and thoughtful discussion!

IMG_0642 IMG_0644

In maths this week we have been looking at the bus stop method to divide. Everyone has worked their socks off and we have made incredible process. As ever, I have been really proud.

In science this week we had a lot of fun testing and making circuits! We found out lots of exciting facts about how to make a circuit complete or incomplete. We then had some challenge cards where we had to use our detective skills once more to try and predict whether or not we thought the circuit would work, before working in teams to make our circuits and test them out!

IMG_0620 IMG_0611 IMG_0618 IMG_0628 IMG_0625

This past fortnight our value has been ‘peace’, and after watching a short video called ‘Have You Filled Your Bucket Today?’, we have been making a conscious effort in Year 4 to make sure we are ‘filling buckets’ with happiness rather than emptying them. We decided this would make the world a much more peaceful place to be. We have also been practicing mindfulness, taking time at certain points in the day to really appreciate the moment, feel at peace and restore calm. Neuroscience shows that this makes us aware of the subjectiveness and transient nature of thoughts and emotions, rather than them being something unmoveable and permanent. We visualised how our minds can be ‘cloudy’ by imagining glitter in a jam jar full of water. We then imagined that glitter settling and the water becoming clear again, just like how taking time to be peaceful and calm can bring clarity to our mind and help us see how things really are. We also did short bursts of mindfulness activities:

IMG_0651 IMG_0648 IMG_0649

This week my star of the week has been Lujain. I have been really proud of the amazing progress she has made in her English and I would like to thank her for all of her hard work! Keep it up!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Miss Nicholson 🙂